Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Four and Fabulous!




I've been a little late, OK - 2 weeks late, in dedicating a birthday post to our #1 son. Q turned four on "March twenty-one" (as he announced to everyone!) and is a super-bright shining star (so sayeth his parents). He's been a such a blessing to us and I feel so lucky to be able to spend more time than ever watching him grow.

Quinn was born in 2003, on the first Friday of the NCAA tournament. I knew that he'd be a smart kid right off the bat, since he had the good sense to be born during half-time of the Purdue game. (The last time they were in the tourney, by the way, until this year...the year his sis arrived....maybe the Boilers' tourney success depends on us having kids...hmm....)

Anyway, as is typical of most moms, I spend a lot of time marveling at how intelligent and insightful my son is. Like the other day, when we are playing the "Who loves you the most?" game (sorry, hubby, I make them say me!) :-) Anyway, the game starts when I say - while picking up Q and swinging him in the air: "Who loves you the most?" "Mommy does!" he shouts. "Who loves Keira the most?" I continue. "Mommy does!" he shouts even louder. But then here it gets interesting: Quinn takes over the game and adds, voice even louder, "Who loves everyone the most?"

I paused. Is he talking about me? I am supposed to love everyone, but, well....and before I even have a chace to answer, he shouts "God does!"
Oh. Wow. Well, that's right! Yippee for him!

Then, I think, Those Sunday School teachers at St. Luke's really are something.....

Nonetheless, and if you are a mom and/or a Seinfeld junkie, you know this next part: everything balances out. As in, for every fabulous oh-my-kid-rocks moment, you have a oh-my-gosh-he's-a-rascally-little-snicklefritz moment. Usually here, that takes the form of body-checking his sister into the baby-gate to prevent her from getting (insert name of toy du jour). We're working on that...and a few other in-her-face big brother habits. But all in all, he's a winner.

So, here's to you, little one. Ooops - I mean big one. Because, yes, I know (since I've been told a zillion times or so), you aren't the baby around here....


(Here he is, taking an important b-day call from Grandma!)

(Uh, what's with this Cubs hat, Dad? Isn't there a Reds hat around this joint somewhere?)

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Happy 4th birthday Quinn!! That is the most awesome birthday cake!! Sophia's is coming up on April 23rd. We have operation "Magical Fairy" party plans in progress!! LOL