Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fox In Socks

Looking back on my last several posts, I realize there's been a recurring theme: Q and kindergarten. So in an effort to provide equal airtime, or as equal as things can get, I thought I'd take a minute to refresh your memory: There's a spunky 2 year old running around here, too. And she's been talking up a storm.
If you have or had a child this age, you know/remember what it's like when they start talking. It is like opening up floodgates. The words, phrases come blasting at you, faster and faster, until you are totally overwhelmed. Of course, you don't always know exactly what is being said. Just that a lot is being said.
And sometimes, what they are saying sounds a lot like something they should not be saying.
This particular example first showed up in the spring. However, with the onset of summer and therefore hot weather, I forgot about our little "problem". Forgot, that is, until today.
It is fall now, more or less. And a bit nippier in the morning. And cooler temps mean chilly 2 year old feet. And chilly feet need socks. And when K needs socks she means to say, "Momma, Kiki needs socks." However, said 2-year old has these 2 problems (among other verbal challenges):
1. She often swaps an S for an F....like she'll say "fost" instead of "soft". I'm told by a speech therapist friend that this f-for-s thing is not unusual at this age. Ok. Good. So "socks" should come out "fox". Right?
Wrong. Enter problem 2. She has trouble making words plural.
No matter what, it is hard for her to put an S on the end of things. I haven't asked my speech therapist friend about this yet, but I do know that in Chinese (which she heard exclusively in utero and for her first 12 months) they don't have plural words (they just make things plural by adding an adjective in front).
So now, put problem 1 and 2 together. Think about it. And translate "Momma, Kiki needs socks" into Keira-speak.
Got it? Yeah. Shocking yet funny the first time you hear it. Disturbing thereafter.
Needless to say we've been working tirelessly on Ss, before and after words, all day. And to no avail.
Today, she went to school in "sssss-fandal!".
With white you-know-what to go with it.
Oh! Did I mention? Her fashion-sense is second only to her vocabulary.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

O.M.G. Hilarious!! I hope she gets the hang of it soon! Maybe come up with a nickname for socks?!!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Love it! We had a similar problem for a little bit with the word 'firetruck'. You can see just how badly that can turn on you. Yes, funy the first time and funnier each other time... as long as it was in the car and no one else was around!

geminirn said...

LMAO!!!!!!Oh it is funny....but only when not in ear shot of grandma....lol!!!!