Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You Are Only as Old as (Your Technology Makes) You Feel

Despite my claim to being a world-class multi-tasker, I am obviously not as good as advertised.
Mom? check
Wife? check
Full-time corporate cube-dweller? check
Blogger?.....Blogger? [insert crickets chirping]
(BTW, if you grew up in the 80s, you should have heard that as Bueller?...Bueller?... Right? Didn't you?)
Anyway, so in an effort to improve my efficiencies and free up a little more time, I've finally made the leap into the 21st century. I now (drum roll, please) electronic bill pay.
Yup, hold your gasps. I e-pay. (What? You thought I'd give up TV??! Oh come on....)
Do you find it hard to believe that a young, hip chick like myself was kickin' it old-school (do kids still say that these days?) and writing checks? Me of the iPod, DVR, and Blackberry. Me of the text message and Twitter. (Ok, I don't Twitter, but it made the sentence sound good, no?)
So, yes. For years I hadn't bothered to set up electronic bill pay. What was I thinking? It is way easy and super convenient.
And so, feeling quite proud of myself, I mentioned this to my mother the other day during a phone chat. I was thinking maybe I could encourage her to do the same. Lend a helping hand. Pay it forward.
And guess what? I barely had the phrase "electronic bill pay" out of my mouth before she says, "Oh, yeah! Isn't it great?"
What? My mother out-teched me? Oh man. Sure, my folks had high-speed internet and GPS long before we did, but still.
What's next, mom?....Facebook?

3 comments:

ladybugsnkatydids said...

OK - you are really out of the techno loop - I even started e-paying bills a couple of months ago. You are letting me down -first, no twittering, now just starting to e-pay!!!! ;-)

Jenni said...

Facebook...I love! LOL No e-paying for me though, I just leave paying the bills to Fred. Saves me even MORE time! Haha!!

Liene said...

What a good laugh. We've been doing bill pay online for YEARS! Got tired of writing checks. However it also came about when my mother's checks she wrote to pay bills about 4 yrs ago were swiped out of the drop box at the post office, white washed and rewritten for cash in huge sums of money. She wasn't the only victim. There were about 1/2 a dozen others.

I refuse to Twitter. Facebook, blog - yes.