
Hey, Moms! Here's a fun little birthday tradition for you to consider next time you have a super kid adding another candle to the cake: Birthday Interviews.
I wish I could claim this idea as my own, but the truth is, I read it in a Family Fun or Parents-type magazine. It goes like this....
Every year on your kid's bday, conduct a little interview. Ask about favorite things - color, movie, food, toys, friends, stuff like that. Spend about 3-10 minutes in question and answer mode, depending on your and/or your child's attention span...and on the level of cooperation. Record the interviews on a dedicated tape/DVD/whatever you use. One tape per kid. The dividends won't pay off until you've done this a couple of times, but eventually, it gets to be a fun time for you and the kids. I've been doing this for the last 3 years now. Q and I sat down a few days ago to watch his first 2 interviews before taping this year's version. He could hardly believe how "little" he used to be. He laughed at some of his answers and guffawed at some of his "favorites" back then. For my part, I tried to hold back a few tears, as I could hardly believe how little he used to be, or what some of his favorite things were back then.
Every year on your kid's bday, conduct a little interview. Ask about favorite things - color, movie, food, toys, friends, stuff like that. Spend about 3-10 minutes in question and answer mode, depending on your and/or your child's attention span...and on the level of cooperation. Record the interviews on a dedicated tape/DVD/whatever you use. One tape per kid. The dividends won't pay off until you've done this a couple of times, but eventually, it gets to be a fun time for you and the kids. I've been doing this for the last 3 years now. Q and I sat down a few days ago to watch his first 2 interviews before taping this year's version. He could hardly believe how "little" he used to be. He laughed at some of his answers and guffawed at some of his "favorites" back then. For my part, I tried to hold back a few tears, as I could hardly believe how little he used to be, or what some of his favorite things were back then.
But as different as our reactions were to the interviews of old, we could agree on this: Chocolate Birthday Cake is the best. Good taste (buds) run in the family.


1 comment:
I love this idea! I just nominated you for an award and linked to it!
Post a Comment