I used to think that racing was no more than that: driving around in circles. Fast.But after my experience yesterday at The Brickyard, I know better. Not much better, but a little bit.
Now, for those of you who really know me, please pick yourselves up off the floor. I'm not making this up. I actually attended a NASCAR event yesterday. The AllState 400 at The Brickyard. And I actually watched all 400 miles of the race, all 160 laps, all 3 hours 24 minutes 28 seconds of it.
This is probably more racing than I've watched in my entire life combined, but it was fun. Really! And here's why.
This is probably more racing than I've watched in my entire life combined, but it was fun. Really! And here's why.First, I was privileged enough to attend with my best friend and her hubby. And my dad went along, too! (I've harrassed him for a long time about liking racing, but secretly always hoped I could someday "treat" him to a race here in Indy.) Also, the day was beautiful and our seats were shaded the entire time. But besides the good company, the real fun was the speed. And the sound. Holy cow is it loud! (Thank God for earplugs!) But when 43 cars race by at almost 180 mph, how can you not get a little rush? Especially when you have a closet competitive streak like I do (my mom would say it isn't so closeted!). I like to watch sports of most any kind, and as it turns out, this was no different. I can't say that I'll be sitting in front of my TV for the next NASCAR race, but being there was awesome!
And because I love sports and competition, I had to pick somebody, some car to cheer for. However, other than what I soak in from the local TV news and the newspaper, I don't know that much about the competitors. Sure, I can pick out the "drivers with Indiana connections", as they often focus on, but really - who should I be watching? So, along the lines of clueless girls who pick which team to cheer for based on how lovely the uniforms are, I began to pick cars based on which snack items were featured. There was a Snickers car, a Reese's car, one with M&Ms, Little Debbie, and even Totinos Pizza Rolls! So many of my favorites represented, but which to choose? (As you can see above, the #88 Snickers car had a rough day yesterday....and yes! that's tape on the car! I didn't know that men's obsession with duct tape and it's relatives reached out as far as racing, but it does!) Anyway, my friend/seat neighbor (a well-versed NASCAR-wife) politely told me that might not be the way to choose.
And because I love sports and competition, I had to pick somebody, some car to cheer for. However, other than what I soak in from the local TV news and the newspaper, I don't know that much about the competitors. Sure, I can pick out the "drivers with Indiana connections", as they often focus on, but really - who should I be watching? So, along the lines of clueless girls who pick which team to cheer for based on how lovely the uniforms are, I began to pick cars based on which snack items were featured. There was a Snickers car, a Reese's car, one with M&Ms, Little Debbie, and even Totinos Pizza Rolls! So many of my favorites represented, but which to choose? (As you can see above, the #88 Snickers car had a rough day yesterday....and yes! that's tape on the car! I didn't know that men's obsession with duct tape and it's relatives reached out as far as racing, but it does!) Anyway, my friend/seat neighbor (a well-versed NASCAR-wife) politely told me that might not be the way to choose.
So, I did what I always do in situations of doubt: cheer for whoever my dad is cheering for. And as it turns out, dad was pulling for #8 (the Budweiser car driven by Dale Earnhardt, Jr....or Little E or Junior, as I learned) and #20 (the Home Depot car driven by Indiana's own Tony Stewart). Same as my friend's hubby. [See below for pic of 20 in the lead, followed by 8.] And as you may or may not know, the 20 car eventually won the race. So, a good time was had by all.

And for those of you still not convinced that being there could be so much fun, there's always people watching. And I don't mean the toothless smokers or halter top-wearing mamas. I mean the likes of Mr. James Denton (aka Mike Delfino from Desparate Housewives). Hmmm, mmm. He was the Grand Marshall of the day. And the main reason I regretted having forgotten my binoculars.But oh well. I can't get too upset about missing out on Mr D. Afterall, I've got a fabulous hubby who was waiting for me at home. And, when it comes to NASCAR, we are on the same level. When I called him on my way home, he said, "Hey, those last 20 laps were great...when I saw the Home Depot car trying to pass the Reese's car, I knew I had to pull for the Home Depot car!" I guess hubby and I are more alike than I thought: we might not know much about racing, but we can sure pick a winner!

1 comment:
Haha!! Good times! Fred loves Nascar and is a #8 fan! (I think the M&M car is cute though! :) )
Post a Comment