Monday, July 30, 2007

It'll Be Hard, But Just Do Your Best

This afternoon around dinner-time, I was getting some veggies ready for the grill and Chris was in the kitchen with me, fixin' up hamburger patties. The kids were playing in the family room.

Now, all morning long, it had been a struggle with them. As per my post of a few days ago, Keira was up to her usual tricks - hitting Quinn, taking his toys, etc. etc. I felt as though I should be wearing a black-and-white striped shirt, since all I seemed to be doing was refereeing fights. I tried to explain things to Quinn (how young ones who don't have a lot of words yet often express themselves physically, yada, yada, yada) and I tried to encourage him to have patience with her, but it was hard, since I was losing patience with her myself!

Anyway, something must have clicked with him, somehow, somewhere, because by dinner-time he had transformed into super-mega-awesome-very patient brother. He was gently telling her to please not hit him. He was quietly moving away from her agressions without putting up a fight. He was singing and dancing with her because "Look, Mom! It makes her happy!"

But then, hubby and I witnessed this moment: Quinn sitting down on the floor, across from Keira, her hands in his. He solemnly explained life this way:

Keira, someday, you're gonna have to learn how to talk. It'll be hard, but just do your best. I know you can do it. It's for your health.

After watching that, I couldn't help but have a little tear or two streak down my face.

Sweet kids (and extra onions in the veggie grilling packets) will do that to you everytime.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, it's amazing that Q has so many adult like thoughts about what it means to be a big brother. :)

Jenni said...

Awww....what sweet thoughts!! It's good for her health and his!! LOL!!
We have the same lack of communication frustrations here right now. Ugh!