
As most moms do, I imagine, I spend some time here and there wondering what my kids will be like when they are all grown up - what will their interests be? their careers? their mates? their families? I hope and pray that they will be well-adjusted and decent people and that they become good, productive citizens.

I sometimes think especially hard about Miss K. How will being adopted affect her? A little? A lot? And how about this business of being transracially and transculturally adopted?
Thankfully, there are many who have tread this territory before us. Many we can learn from. I like to see how families with older adopted children are doing. I especially enjoy hearing stories from adult adoptees and getting a little insight into their upbringing and how this affected their life's path. Through our church, I've come to know a woman about my age who was adopted from VietNam as an infant. She now has a family of her own - built both through birth and adoption. And every now and then, when Keira and I are out and about, we are approached by some kind soul who might say something like, "You remind me of me and my mom when I was little..." or "Excuse me, is she adopted? I was adopted from...." So far, the conversations have all been warm and fuzzy. But will they always be that way?

The New York Times has a blog on their website entitled Relative Choices: Adoption and the American Family. A whole host of authors contribute, each involved with adoption and yet each with a different viewpoint or experience to offer. There are adult and teen views. Birthparent and adoptive parent views. Entries from adoption professionals and entries from regular people touched by adoption.
A recent entry was brought to my attention by the friend mentioned above. Read it here, if you feel so inclined. I thought it was wonderfully written. The author, who was adopted from Korea as a 3 year old, is now all grown up, married, and pregnant. She offers her thoughts on this, concluding her entry as follows:
Ultimately I want generations after me to know this about the culture of blood and the culture of adoption: That blood is thicker than water, but love can be thicker than blood.
I couldn't have said it better myself. And someday, I hope Keira is thinking the same thing.

3 comments:
That gives me such wonderful chills, how very well put.
From one proud mom to another, let's just continue to love them and be open and hope for the best, that's all we can do.
Love can be thicker than blood, I love it!
CC
That quote brought tears to me eyes. Just beautiful! I will have to go back and check out the links. Thanks. :)
thanks for the links to that site... and just checkin' to make sure you guys are recovering alright after that football game last Sunday.
Post a Comment