After some hits-and-misses with Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious (about sneaking veggies into kids' food....more on that in another post), I found a definitely hit with this Summer Corn Fritters recipe that I found in Parents magazine. Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't summer. (I'm a little behind on magazine reading, can ya' tell??) I just substituted some canned sweet corn for that which was supposed to be cut freshly off the cob.
Keira loved them. She ate about five. Quinn managed to eat one, with a little coaxing. But Keira was completely devouring them. She would scream when we gave her another one. Not a hey-stop-taking-my-toy scream but an oh-my-gosh-i'm-getting-a-treat kind of scream. And, in a reversal of roles, she was eating off Quinn's plate!Hubby and I really liked them as well. But I think I liked them even more just because Keira did. There are 3 veggies in these things! Three! That's about her monthly intake...awwww, who am I kidding...that's about her lifetime intake of veggies so far (except for force-fed baby food, way back when).
Basically these things are like fried little cakes of corn bread (we all love corn bread here - we live in Indiana, you know) with some shredded carrots, zucchini, and corn mixed in. Yummmm, yummmm.
I know it sounds crazy to be giddy over corn fritters, but to see Keira eat a nice little meal - with chicken, vegggies, and fruit (she tolerates applesauce now) - well, it made me feel all so successful-mommy-like.
That is, until the bedtime meltdown over toothbrushing. But that's another story. You know how those successful mommy moments go.

1 comment:
I had to laugh at the veggie dislike. Lane's sister was adopted from Korea and she hates veggies, especially green ones. She'll eat salad but that's it.
Eriks is a fruit addict and enjoys most of his veggies too - especially salad with blue cheese dressing!!! I have to say I am lucky with a kid who is not picky but I see this coming to bite me in the rear with the next child who will have a dislike for everything!
Post a Comment