But one thing I didn't think of: the threat of snow cancelling birthday plans.
Yup, I live in the midwest and I didn't even think of this. Maybe because I lived within 5 miles of both sets of grandparents and nearly all other living relatives, unlike the situation my kids find themselves in (grandparents, cousins, etc scattered in either direction).
So there we were - the Saturday before K turned 2, and about 6 inches of snow, ice, and other assorted weather maladies plaguing our fine city. We were scheduled to have family and friends-like-family in to celebrate the milestone in Miss K's life, but decided to cancel due to weather.
Quinn said - No problem, we can reschedule for January. Yeah, easy for you to say buddy, not your party!
Anyway, we never really rescheduled - with Christmas and NY right around the corner. I know, I know. Horrible mom.
In the end, though, Keira ended up with a "slow-release" birthday. (Yes, the term was coined by one of her 2 pharmacist parents!) The 4 of us celebrated on her actual b-day; the day later my parents came up to visit; and then that next weekend, she celebrated with cousins and aunts and uncles (including my aforementioned December Bday Brother who turned 40 that day!!)
So below, Little Miss Three Birthday Cakes grins as she gets sung to. Again! And by the way, she still walks around the house singing "Happy Doot-Doo to ooo!" She may have gotten a little too used to the attention.

And in the other pic, you can Keira making a move on her Minnie cake. The pointing finger on the left side of the photo is Quinn, staking a claim to Minnie's big brown chocolate-frosted ear. Apparently, birthday brothers are second only to birthday girls themselves.

So since I've been schooled on the various hazards of December birthdays (and now, as of this past week, I know that the hazards include an increased likelihood of illness), I'm thinking K's next party might be a half-birthday party in June. Less snow around here then. And fewer major holidays. Although we'll have to work around Father's Day and Flag Day, so we'll see.....

3 comments:
Oh my gosh!! I just cracked up as I read that! Miss Alena will have three cakes after tomorrow to celebrate her birthday which is not until Monday the 7th!! We had one last Sunday with some family that was visiting, one tonight during an annual b'day dinner outing and the last will be tomorrow with more family & friends. Alena CAN NOT get enough of people singing "Happy Birthday" to her. Grins, says AND signs "More"!!
Yes our poor son's birthday is Dec. 30th and now we know that our baby girl's Birthday is Jan.5th........i'm sure we have a request from her in time to come to have a few BIRTHDAY's IN July celabrations just as DS had requested a few times.....lol!!!!
Your little one is a beauty!!!!
Just me again,we just finished readiing all your entries from when you guys were in China....we so enjoyed as we will travel as you know to Guigang,our little one will be 14 months old as we just found out we will travel March7-20.....yipppppppeeeeeeeee!!!!
we enjoyed your post and photos!!
Post a Comment