Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Gold Medal Week


The big story around the world this week seems to be the Olympics. We've been getting our fill here...staying up late (the grown-ups anyway) to see the swimming, gymnastics, volleyball, and glimpses of beautiful China.

Our Chinese-American gold medal toddler models her Olympic finery to the left. She was decked out and ready to go for the Opening Ceremonies. I picked out the t-shirt, she picked out her hat. The outfit pretty much sums her up, eh? (Of course, as far as the shirt goes, what was I thinking when I bought that thing back on our adoption trip? I totally overestimated her growth....she'll likely be able to wear that shirt again for the 2012 Games!)

Of course, around here, the Olympics aren't the biggest story around. The big news in our corner of the world is Super-Q's entry into formal education. So far, he gives a double-thumbs up to Days 1 and 2 of Kindergarten. He has safely navigated the bus to and from school, bought his lunch in the cafeteria (even choosing a vegetable as part of today's lunch!), and given me all necessary parent paperwork (intact, no less). On the right, you see the handsome guy decked out for his first day. He picked the shirt and I started to pick out khaki shorts to go with. "Mo-om, I don't need to look like a church man, do I?" No, no, I guess not. Jean-shorts will be just fine.
And notice little sis in her PJs. Not looking very happy. This, however, was nothing compared to her reaction when Q actually got on the bus. And the big door closed. And the loud yellow monster pulled away, taking her brother with it.
She. went. nuts. Crying, screaming, wailing. Gege, come back. Back, gege! Waaaaaah! It was sweet and heart-breaking at the same time.

I explained that the bus was taking him to school, yada yada yada, and home again after her naptime. That seemed to do the trick. Plus a walk around the neighborhood and another 2 bowls of Frosted Flakes. Tony the Tiger makes everything grrrrrreat!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Read your last post and I think it is even scarier to be sending your youngest child off to school to the same teacher I had in second grade (Mrs. Wierwille) and I thought she was old back then.

Karen B.