
love to eat, and so what better place to go? Plus, I like to give my kids a chance to see some farm animals up close and personal. Growing up "in the country" and having a few years of 4-H in my past, I've seen my fair share (pun intended) of livestock. But when the first thing your 4-year old says at the Fair is "Look! A farmer!", in that oh-my-gosh-I-can't-believe-it sort of voice, you know you're raising a city-kid.
So, off we go to the horse barn. And, as luck would have it, there were some Belgian Draft Horses out and about. This was like a blast from the past for me, since a few of these creatures shared my address, oh so many years ago. We even got to pet one....all of us except Keira. Yup, even Miss Mighty was a bit scared of the big giant horse. She actually wanted back into her stroller. That's a first.
We continued our tour of the place, sampling such delicacies as corn dogs, corn-on-the-cob, elephant ears, BBQ pork sandwich, and chocolate milkshakes. (A special thanks goes out to the Indiana Corn Farmers, Indiana Pork Producers, and the Indiana Dairy Farmers. Yummmm, yummmm!)
We took in such typical Fair-sights as tractors, boys in John Deere hats (link provided for any confused city-folk readers), and women in tank tops and cowboy hats. But the thing that topped it all was this:

Yup, there - for all to see - was the Vince Lombardi Trophy from Super Bowl XLI. The VLT has been travelling the state of Indiana, giving common folk like us a chance to see that same trophy once held high by Tony D, Peyton, and the rest of the boys in Blue.
There it was. Shiny. Gleaming. Available for touching.
And there I was. WITHOUT MY CAMERA! (Why, oh why, did I listen to hubby this AM, when he said, Nah, just leave it....?!?!?!?) And without my camera phone (charging in the car). Ugh.
So, take my word for it. I touched it.
Quinn touched it.
Keira smiled at the security guys.
Chris rolled his eyes at me and wondered what the big deal was. (Of course, you know me, I told him what the big deal was. And, not one to leave well enough alone, also mentioned the, um, previous camera discussion.)
Anyway, a good time was had by all. And although I don't have photographic evidence of it, I do have photos to prove what a great time we had last weekend in Santa Claus, Indiana. A couple of days at Lake Rudolph (complete with campfire and S'MORES! - see below for Q and K's take on the situation) and a whole day spent at Holiday World and Splashin' Safari can really bring a family together. (Thanks Mom and Dad [Grandma and Grandpa], for making it happen!)




1 comment:
I am so jealous of you!!! Both for going to the fair and for touching the Vince Lombardi Trophy!!! My sister was there yesterday too with some friends. I told her to eat some Fried Wisconsin Cheese and some Fried Oreos for me!!! Oh and how I miss Lemon Shake-Ups!!!
I just have to remind myself that in 4 yrs I'll get the pleasure of being back on the Northside of Indy/Carmel Area and I will be able to be a kid again at the State Fair.
Yeah, I'd be kicking myself too if I forgot my camera. I never listen to Dh when it comes to that. If I think I'm going to need it, then I take it. I wonder if they'd be willing to bring the VLT down to Arkansas so I can see it :)
Post a Comment