Saturday, March 29, 2008

Shop Until You Drop

Until you drop off to sleep, that is. Let me explain.....

For the past few weeks at bedtime, Keira has been asking for The Crayon Box that Talked as her bedtime story.

We got the book a month or so ago, courtesy of Quinn's preschool Scholastic Book Order. Love those Scholastic book orders! I remember loving Scholastic book time as a kid, too - when mom said that yes, I could get such and such book! Oh the thrill! Anyway, this particular book was one of Scholastic's 95cent features - where you take a chance on the book because the description sounds cute, knowing that if the book turns out to be a dud, you really aren't out much coin.

This one has turned out to be a winner. In Miss Keira's eyes at least. She likes the illustrations, as do I. And hopefully she likes the story as well. It is about how, even though the crayons are all different and none look the same as the others, they all end up working together to make something fabulous. Oh, if only the world worked this way as well.
But tonight, the winds of change were blowing. As you'll note in the picture to the right (and maybe you noticed in a similar photo I posted a few days ago) Little Miss is perusing a Hanna Andersson catalog. We have a big hunk of pottery in the corner of our family room that plays host to a wide variety of catalogs - LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Pottery Barn, Cherry Republic (go now and order their cherry salsa; I'm serious; you will thank me later!), China Books, Asia for Kids, etc.
Yet for the last couple of weeks, Keira pulls out HA's catalog and checks it out. She does this on a daily basis. Sometimes only for a few seconds. Sometimes for several, several minutes. The shopping bug bites early, I guess.
Anyway, tonight she brought the catalog upstairs with her at bedtime, along with her new best buddy, Meow-Meow (the beanie-baby kitty that was in her Easter basket from grammy and gramps - thanks so much!). Fine, drag it along, I think. What's a little more clutter upstairs? Just means a little less clutter downstairs!
So, after bath-time, changing into PJs, and brushing teeth, little Vera Wang toddles into her room, grabs the catalog and her blanket, points to the rocking chair and says "Read story, mama."
And my friends, that's how it happens. That's how you end up reading a catalog to your daughter as a bedtime story.
That's also why parents end up getting second and third jobs. Not because college tuition is so expensive, but because moms who don't have any better ideas, allow clothing catalogs to be used as children's literature.
"Summer 2008," I began, "by Hanna Andersson. Home Sweet Home collection...."

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Bryn,

I am testing this comment thing.

Karen

Karen said...

Hi again,

To explain the test. The other day I read your blog actually the excuses, excuses blog and I had to comment so I proceed to do this long comment to you and I go to send it and it won't go. I go through the steps to set up an account and I go to send my comment to you and it is gone. Of course by this time the world is collapsing around me because I am ignoring the kids etc. So I will try again.

When I read about your birthday party for Quinn I had to comment because I went temporarily insane (I think it was temporary). Elizabeth asked very nicely last Wednesday if she could have some friends spend the night for her birthday, not a party just a get-together. I say sure, why not. Well a few friends turned into 14 girls with 12 being able to spend the night. See the problem is that you can not just invite half the group because then the other half of the group will find out and they will get mad which in effect will ruin the reminder of your 4th grade year. We were not this dramatic, were we?? Any way I did survive but I do not recommend that large a group, not of personalities. But we did survive and the girls said they had fun and Adam(oldest son) said it wasn't too bad(high praise).

On to the next item Janet Evanovich she is hilarous, the Stephanie Plum series is the best. She has one that started with the book "Metro Girl", it was good, but the number books are better.

Lastly, the NCAA tourney, I am right there with you watching on the games with teams I just vaguely recognize, but they are still enjoyable. I think there might be a reason why to of my kids have March birthdays.

Enjoy reading your blog even if I don't comment, so keep them coming. My next comment I will try and make shorter.

Your Hometown Friend.
Karen

Liene said...

HA! HA! HA! How cute!!! Well it could've been worse. It could've been a Victoria's Secret catalog she wanted you to read to her.

I'll have to see if I can find that book. It looks awesome and Eriks would allow you to read to him all day long if you had time.

Cherry Republic - YUMMY!!! They actually came down to a Holiday thing the Junior League of Little Rock had in November and we bought a bunch of their stuff. We like the Cherry BBQ sauce. I'm hoping to go visit them in MI this summer when we're there. That way I don't have to pay shipping.

Hope everything else is going well for you in Indy!!