Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's Beginning to Feel a Lot Like Christmas

Quinn has left no less than 3 lists in his stocking for Santa this year. He's leaving no doubt that he'd like a NintendoDS, Kooky pens, and Bakugan. (Thanks to public school and rides on the school bus for enlightening my little one as to the existence of all these things! And don't feel bad, grown-up, if you had to google at least 1 or 2 of these items....I did, too!)

Anyway, the sweetest thing he's left, however, has to be this:


He left a gift for Santa. Wrapped himself, no less.
One night as I was tucking him in, he said to me, "You know that bear with the broken hat? [Ed. note: I'm pretty sure SC will overlook Q leaving damaged goods.] Well...I thought I'd leave it for Santa. He brings, like, presents to 5000 kids and gets nothing for himself, so I thought maybe he'd like to get something."

I practically cried right on the spot.

You know how, as a parent, you have those days when you aren't sure if any of that use-good-manners-be-kind-to-others stuff sinks in? And then pow! There it is. A beautiful thing. This kid is on the Nice List for sure.

"That's such a great idea," I say. "I'm really proud of you for thinking of that."

And then here is where he maybe he gets himself into trouble with SC. You see, I go on to say that he doesn't have to part with the bear if he doesn't want to (I'm afraid he'll have donor's regret later and I don't want to deal with the tears). I say that perhaps Santa might also like a note that he's written or maybe we could leave some cookies out for Santa or something.
"Cookies?!" Q asks in disbelief.
"Yes, cookies. Sometimes people leave Santa cookies as a treat, since he's been working so hard and all."
"Uh...mom?" Q whispers, "Santa kinda has a big, fat belly. I really don't think we should be leaving cookies."

Oh. Well. He's got a point. Guess my healthy snack chats have made an impression, too.
So I agree that maybe carrots would be better. And we leave it at that.

Despite the diss on SC's weight, I think Q will stay on the Nice list anyway. Afterall, he's just looking out for SC's health and well-being. And maybe saving the Ho Ho Ho HMO some money in the long run.

No comments: