Sunday, December 17, 2006

Countdown to Keira

Ni hao, y'all (we are in southern China, afterall!)! We are now in Nanning, and boy - is the weather so much nicer down here! Sunny and 60-something. Nanning is a "small" Chinese city - only about 6 million people in the metro area, 1 million in the downtown area. Tomorrow afternoon we meet Keira. Yippee! Our travel group has been great so far, and I think everyone is getting excited about the big day. When we checked into our hotel this afternoon we found cribs in our rooms. I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the quilt in the crib for Baby K says Happy Birthday on it. Can you believe that? As if they knew that her day is tomorrow!



Upon further inspection in the room, I also found this in the fridge:





For some reason, blogger turned the photo sideways, but you get the idea: a Diet Coke! Yippee!! I haven't seen one of these since I left Indy. It is actually a bit different from the DC in the US, more like a Coke Zero, but I'll take it. Yummm.

After some of this tasty stuff, I was ready to hit the road! Our guide took us to a nearby grocery store and we did a little shopping - mostly for water and snacks. We will baby shop more on Tuesday. We got some yummy Chinese snacks - like seaweed flavored crackers and BBQ chips. We passed on buying the chicken feet at the end of aisle 1.

We also stepped into a Chinese pharmacy. For my pharmacy and LLY friends, thought you might like to know that we spotted some cephalexin and cefaclor on the shelves (apparently some atb are OTC?), along side a whole slew of flouroquinolones. I also learned that our guide has a friend that works for "some American pharmaceutical company"....as she tried to say the name, I knew what she was talking about: the Colonel's! Small world, eh? I was happy to hear her report that LLY is doing well apparently in China, thanks to the increasing recognition that depression and other mental illnesses are real diseases.



OK - enough shop talk. Here are a few photos of Nanning. They were taken from our hotel window. One is a general skyline shot, the other a picture of the People's Park, which we can see from our room. We hope to take Baby K there for walks soon!





Hope all is well back home. We miss you and will write more soon!




2 comments:

The Family said...

Can't wait to see photos of my new granddaughter!
Love, mom

The Family said...

Quinn and I (Grandpa, too) are following your journey. We both are looking forward to seeing pictures of the Keira. Q says "I miss you mommy and daddy. I hope I gets lots of presents from Santa and that he remembers I am now in Ohio. I am having lots of fun but I still miss you."
Quinn and Grandma